The 5 building complex resulted from continuing additions the original 1860’s inn. In its early history the inn was consumed by fire so that little of the original interior remained. Over the years an addition was added to Jefferson Street while 3 additional structures were added on the side street. All were considered contributing structures. A forth story was added to the newest structure by recessing the new floor behind the site lines of from the street. The project received both Virginia and Federal tax credits.