In 1930’s much of Kilmarnock was destroyed by fire, with few original building surviving. The corner bookstore was one of the survivors. The Kilmarnock Hotel was designed to incorporate the bookstore as the check in lobby and restaurant with an adjacent structure to be used for community events. The remainder of the hotel was woven around these structures. The new hotel was sectioned so that the façade reads as a series of downtown storefronts to compliment the scale of the new Downtown Kilmarnock.